CSUSB Palm Desert Campus announces speaker lineup for Spring 2018 Lessons from Leaders class
Office of Strategic Communication
CSUSB Palm Desert Campus
(760) 341-2883, ext. 78107
Imagine an academic course that brings together preeminent business and cultural leaders, all focused on sharing their stories of success, and sometimes failure. That’s the focus of the Lessons from Leaders series at the Cal State San Bernardino, Palm Desert Campus.
These personal, intimate presentations are designed to inspire students at the CSUSB Palm Desert Campus to persevere, take chances and reach for goals they may never have thought possible.
This spring’s speakers in the university’s Lessons from Leaders series include:
- April 2: Mike Chedester, director of education, The Living Desert;
- April 9: Vince Battaglia, CEO and founder, Renova Energy;
- April 16: Dr. Felice Loverso, CEO and president, Casa Colina, Inc.;
- April 23: Cynthia H. Breunig, CEO, Girl Scouts Council of San Gorgonio;
- April 30: Tricia Gehrlein, director of population health, Morongo Basin Healthcare District;
- May 7: Bianca Rae, television news reporter, KESQ;
- May 14: Superintendents’ Panel with Scott Bailey, Desert Sands Unified School District; Edwin Gomez, Coachella Valley Unified School District; and Sandra Lyon, Palm Springs Unified School District ;
- May 21: Kelly Steward, general manager, The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage (May 21); and
- June 4: Susan Stein, executive director, Fashion Week El Paseo.
Lessons from Leaders is a for-credit class that focuses on a different business, nonprofit or government leader each week to highlight their professional experience and personal advice for success.
The class format begins with an introduction by instructor Michael J. Ortiz, president emeritus, Cal Poly Pomona; followed by the visiting speaker providing 30-40 minutes of content, and then an open conversation with the enrolled students. The class concludes with a reception where students can interact with the speaker and gain critical networking skills.
The experience and insight of the speakers can be a life-changing experience for students. The CSUSB Palm Desert Campus is comprised of predominantly first-generation college students, but they all have one great thing in common — a drive to succeed and be a force for change in their families and communities. The class looks for speakers who can inspire.
The class meets from 4-5:50 p.m. and the community is invited to attend at no cost.
Located in beautiful Palm Desert, the CSUSB Palm Desert Campus offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees, a doctorate in educational leadership, and teacher credentials and certificates. With more than 1,400 students, it is the Coachella Valley’s four-year public university and plays a vital role in educating and training the region’s growing population.
For more information about the CSUSB Palm Desert Campus, contact Mike Singer in the campus’ Office of Public Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org or (760) 341-2883, ext. 78107, or visit the campus website at pdc.csusb.edu.